Due to current circumstances, Internship opportunities have been suspended until further notice.
Fragile Planet Wildlife Center offers unpaid 3-month internships for full time applicants and unpaid 6-month internships for part-time applicants.
- 40 hours/wk
- January 1 – Last day of March
- April 1 – Last day of June
- July 1 – Last day of September
- October 1 – Last day of December
- 20 hours/wk
- January 1 – Last day of June
- July 1 – Last day of December
Animal Care Internships
Animal Care Internships rotations include Reptiles, Birds, Mammals, Amphibians, Invertebrates, and Aquatics (salt and fresh water). Applicant will work with all.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Intern will experience and learn all aspects of animal husbandry including but not limited to: food preparation, exhibit maintenance, daily and weekly cleaning tasks, public presentations, daily enrichment, operant conditioning techniques, veterinary procedures, animal behavior observation, and record keeping.
- Participate in keeper presentations, learning to interact with the public in both an educational and professional manner.
- Complete an assigned project and present findings
- Participate in professional development opportunities made available throughout the internship to learn about zoo operations and career planing.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Available 40 hours per week for up to 3 months, or 20 hours per week for up to 6 months, including holidays and weekends.
- Flexible, self-motivated, and a team player.
- Follow oral and written instructions.
- Establish and maintain an effective rapport with all levels of management, employees, volunteers, docents, and the public.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Have good observational skills
- Able to walk, sit, stand, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull, bend, climb stairs and ladders, carry up to 50 lbs, and actively work in inclement weather.
- Have a valid US driver’s license with reliable transportation.
- Must be otherwise eligible to work in the U.S. at the time of the internship.
- Must provide proof of negative TB test within the previous 6 months.
- Must have proof of tetanus vaccination.
- Have basic computer skills and knowledge.
- Must be currently enrolled in a college or university as a junior, senior, or a recent college graduate.
- Applications accepted within one year after graduation.
- Biology, Zoology, Animal Science, Wildlife Biology or other related major.
- No previous experience is required.